ACWW has 365 Member Societies in over 70 countries working to improve the lives of women and their families worldwide.
The Chairman of the Federation and the Chairman of the International Sub-Committee lead FWINI delegations attending ACWW World and European Conferences. This is our opportunity to speak out on behalf of women and their families.
LINKS WITH CENTRAL AND EASTERN EUROPE
Close links of friendship have been established with a number of Central and Eastern European countries. Through exchange visits in recent years encouragement has been given to women’s groups there and specific needs met by providing substantial humanitarian and financial aid. In 2003/2004 ten recipients in Estonia, the Czech Republic, Croatia, Latvia and Albania benefited through “The Hilda Stewart East European Scholarship” funded by FWINI.
FWINI plays an important role as a member of ACWW through funding worldwide projects. Mrs Betty Lyttle represents FWINI on the ACWW Projects Committee.
FUNDRAISING IN NORTHERN IRELAND
The International Sub-committee takes the lead in Northern Ireland on raising money for ACWW funds and also adopts specific projects, for example:
- Contributing £10,000 to help build a school in Kampala, Uganda by sponsoring Ian Harvey to row across Lake Victoria.
- Supporting a literacy scheme for immigrants in the Dominican Republic by money raised through the circulation of the Travelling Basket
- Supplying toys and chairs to a kindergarten in Albania
- Providing families in Uganda with chickens and cows
- Restocking a lake with fish in Columbia
- Sending books to India and assisting with health and water provision
- Helping with Tsunami relief for our projects in India and Sri Lanka.
- Providing a well in Kenya
- Supplying piped water to fifty families on a coral island in the South Pacific
INTERNATIONAL OFFICERS’ MEMBERSHIP OF ACWW
Each WI should have an International Officer whose duty it is to keep members informed about ACWW activities and projects. The Institute should pay the International Officer’s ACWW membership to ACWW, Mary Summer House, 24 Tufton Street, LondonSW1P 3RB.